IEE Newsletter No. 20

SA-GER CDR: News from the South African-German Centre for Development Research

New scholarship holders, new graduates, new postgraduate fellows and a voice from one of our Alumni

Selection of new scholarship holders at the SA-GER CDR

The deadline for applications for Master- and PhD Scholarships at the SA-GER CDR closed on 31st July 2014. This time we received an overwhelming number of applications, especially for PhD scholarships.
From the 243 applicants for the Master- and 112 applicants for the PhD programme, 4 master students and 2 PhD students were selected. They will commence their studies in January 2015.
Rejoyce Mabhena from Zimbabwe (Development Studies) and Davison Muchadenyika from Zimbabwe (Public Policy) will take part in our PhD programmes. At the master level Christopher Katete from Zambia, Kenechukwa Ikebuaku from Nigeria and Maphelo Batyi from South Africa will be studying in the the Master in Development Studies course, whereas Muriel Adarkwa from Ghana will be studying to become a Master in Public Administration.

Graduations at the SA-GER CDR

In 2014, 31 students (MA and PhD) graduated at the SA-GER CDR, so that we are able to state that since 2008 an impressive total number of 246 graduates have completed their education at the Centre.
FZ graduates

The photo shows two of these graduates, Joyce Njeri Marangu from Kenya and Clement Mensah from Ghana, who both graduated with an MA in Development Studies awarded by the UWC in September 2014 after having completed their MA in Development Management at the RUB in December 2013.

Alumni and Co.

Gavelet Mzembe, one of our MADM graduates, shares her experience in the working world with us.
"It has been an exciting journey since my graduation in December 2011. I joined the Support for Service Delivery Integration (SSDI-Communication), in Malawi as a team leader responsible for the coordination department in May 2012. SSDI-Communication is a USAID-funded project that is run under the Johns Hopkins University, Center for Communication Programs (JHU.CCP). It is a five year Social and Behavioral Change Communication project on the essential health package which began in September 2011 and will run through to September 2016. The project aims at assisting the Government of Malawi in achieving its vision of improving the health situation of Malawians generally.
I have just resigned from the SSDI-Communication unit in July 2014, because I got a new job as Deputy Chief of Party for the STEPS (Supporting the Efforts of Partners) project under "Counterpart International", a US based organisation which is engaged in implementing measures for Organizational Capacity Development for Civil Society Organizations in Malawi. The project will also award grants to NGOs in the areas of HIV/AIDS and Malaria. I joined this organisation on 1st August and my role is to support the Chief of Party in managing the whole project; and I will also be responsible for managing the grants. The project runs from June 2014 to May 2019. This gives me an opportunity to experience a new challenge and learn more."

Postdoctoral Fellowship at SA-GER CDR awarded to Dr. Samson Lembani

Samson LembaniDr. Samson Lembani (see picture on the right), who graduated from the PhD in International Development Studies, has been awarded a DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowship at the SA-GER CDR. For a period of at least one year, Samson will support the research and teaching activities of the SA-GER CDR.

NiklasDipl.-Ök. Britta Niklas
Coordinator EUSA_ID
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Phone: +49 (0)234 / 32-25148
Fax: +49 (0)234 / 32-14294

Institute Navigation

Newsletter

You can subscribe to our newsletter via this link:

IEE Newsletter Subscription

Or have a look at our current Newsletter first.