iee header foto madm-bo


Frequently Asked Questions: MADM Programme in Bochum

01. How do I apply to the Master Course?

Please see our section "How to apply".

02. Do you offer online courses?

No. All courses the MA Development Management offers are based at the university, despite the IEE also using blended learning approaches.

03. What is the study duration?

The Master's course is one and a half years in length (three semesters: two semesters of course work and one semester of field research in a developing country and writing of the master's thesis).

04. Are there any deadlines for application?

The application deadline for DAAD-EPOS-scholarships expired at the 30th of September 2021. Please refer to the scholarship section for further details.

The application deadline for students who are planning to apply as self-financing students or being equipped with a scholarships of another donor organisations is December, 31st 2021 at the Institute of Development Research and Development Policy.

05. What are the Admission Criteria?

You must have a B.A. or relevant degree in political science, social science, law, economics or human geography or another subject related to the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects and practical experience in a relevant field (at least two years career experience for DAAD-scholarship applicants; at least a relevant internship for other applicants); preference is given to candidates whose employers offer a reintegration guarantee.

06. Do you offer any scholarships for international students?

Please check the brochure Financial Needs (downloadable in the right column) and our scholarship information.

07. How do I contact students of the study programme / of my nationality?

You can look at our Alumni section to get an overview of what previous students have done.

You can also contact the student council (Fachschaft) at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. of the MADM to find out if there are students from your country participating in the current intake.

08. Do I have to pay any study fees?

Please note that the University of Bochum does not charge tuition fees but a registration fee which is currently Euro 303 per semester and includes the right to use public transport facilities within the whole Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW SemesterTicket). Additional costs may arise from travelling to and from Germany twice as there is a field research period included in the programme.

09. How do I pay my study fees?

During the first semester you have to pay the fees within the period of enrolling. This period will be announced in time. After the first semester, the fees have to be paid within the re-registration period. Usually this period is at the end of the previous semester, it will be announced in time. You can transfer the fees, pay it in cash at the bank or give the University permission to debit the money directly from your account.

10. How do I open a bank account?

In order to participate in the cash-free transfer of money to pay for rent, health insurance and similar things you must have your own personal account. To open the bank account you will need: your passport and residence permit, letter of acceptance from the university and your address in Germany. There is a branch of Sparkasse situated in the Uni Center. You can also choose any other bank like e.g. Volksbank or Deutsche Bank, but Sparkasse has the most local branches in Germany.

11. When do I enroll?

You need to register with the University within the period indicated on your Letter of Admission. You have to enroll personally at the Studiensekretariat. After registration you have to pay the registration fee of currently 303 Euros. The registration fee has to be paid by all students and is charged each semester. It is a general fee towards the cost of running the cafeterias and student's dormitories and offers a number of other services free of charge (for example ticket for free public transport in the NRW area).

12. What are the living costs?

Approximately 750 Euros per month are sufficient for living (including rent for accommodation, health insurance and expenses for food, books and excursions).

13. How do I get to Bochum University?

The nearest airport is Düsseldorf. It is linked by rail to Bochum Main Station (the cheapest is S1/S21). Frequent subway services operate between Bochum Main Station and Ruhr University (line U35). Take the direction Hustadt and you will arrive at the Ruhr University.

15. Where can I find out more about the city of Bochum?

A lot of information can be found on http://www.bochum.de.

16. How do I get my accommodation?

There are a number of student dorms around the university. You will also get a check list of organisational issues after being admitted, which includes different options for the arrangement of accommodation. This means that our staff will assist you on request, but you can also apply for accommodation yourself online. See http://www.akafoe.de/en/wohnen/ for details.

17. Can I change my accommodation if I do not like the offered one?

You can change your accommodation after the expiration date of your contract. In the meantime you can apply for a new accommodation at AKAFÖ or a private hostel. But have in mind that there is a waiting list and that you have to wait about six months from the date you have applied. Most hostels offer semester contracts. Depending on your contract you have to inform the administration of the hostel 1-3 months in advance in writing that you would like to cancel the contract.

18. How much does the accommodation cost?

The price of accommodation is 200 -350 Euros per month, depending on the hostel and the size of the room.

19. Is food included in the price of accommodation?

No, but all accommodations have cooking facilities. There is the possibility to eat in the University cafeteria ('Mensa'). The price of a meal is about 2.20-4.50 Euros (Monday to Friday). Bear in mind that most shops are closed on Sunday.

20. How do I get access to the library?

As soon as you are enrolled, you get your student card which you should carry with you at all times. This card will give you access to the main university library. Some departments and most institutes also have their own libraries (some institute libraries do not lend out books, but you can make copies or read inside the library). Another possibility is to borrow books from the library of the Fachhochschule (University of Applied Sciences) which is very close to the university.

21. How can I get my email address?

With your matriculation you will get your own email address at the RUB. You have to start https://mail.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/mail/ in case you want to change the password.

22. What are language requirements?

Our course language is English, so we expect proven knowledge of the English language. The minimum certified proficiency in written and spoken English for applicants not coming from countries where English is one of the official languages is the following: TOEFL: 79-80 points internet based (equivalent to 213 points computer based or 550 paper based) or IELTS: band 6.

For applicants coming from a country with English as one of the official languages the proven record of having English classes since the secondary school period is obligatory.

23. How do I register at the Residents' Registration Office?

All international students are required to register with the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and apply for the residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). Students, who are required to have a student visa have to extend the visa issued in their home country (normally valid for three months) into a one year residence permit.

FIRST go to Einwohnermeldeamt and THEN go to Ausländerbehörde. Please also see the general information about possible Visa regulations at the German embassy of your respective country of origin.

24. How do I join a sports or social club?

The University offers many free sport courses. Ask at the "Asta" or the "International Office" for a booklet about the sport courses.

25. Are there any German language classes?

Proven German language proficiency is not a precondition for the application. It is nevertheless highly recommended to attend German language classes before you come to Germany. DAAD EPOS scholarship holders partake at an intensive German language course prior the beginning of the study programme (this language course is usually not offered in Bochum). In addition, weekly German classes will also be offered during the whole duration of your studies. Participation is mandatory for all scholarship holders with only basic German language proficiency but is highly recommended for all international participants who are beginners in the German language, as German proficiency is not only helpful for daily living purposes but also essential for the arrangement of an internship in Germany which is part of your studies.

MADM: Contact

SiebertDr. Anne Siebert
Coordinator MADM

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Phone:  +49 (0)234 / 32-19024
Fax: +49 (0)234 / 32-14294

MADM Bochum - FAQ: Downloads

MADM in Bochum:
Financial Needs

Student Council:
Welcoming Brochure for Bochum